June 12, 2015

Mermaid 44

“What did you do? She’ll die in the salt water.”
“Isn’t that better than living in that?” She pointed to the poisoned lake. “I don’t know what the humans dumped, but no merfolk can live here anymore.”
Dylan’s blue eyes were still angry. “You killed her.”
“Maybe not,” Cordelia said, trying to find some hope. “Maybe she’ll recover before she gets that far.”
“Dylan shook his head. “I’m going back to my lake.”
“Wait!” she shouted, twisting to block the lake’s outlet. “I need to find my mother. Take me to the next lake? Please?” she begged, grabbing his shoulders.
“One more,” he said. “Let’s go. I don’t want to eat or sleep here.”
Cordelia agreed whole-heartedly. Together they continued upstream.
Dylan also found the next lake outlet. He darted in and she circled to follow. The lake was deep and dark blue. The only plants were found around the edges. Dylan dropped like a stone, stretching out on the lake bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment