August 6, 2011

Elevator Pitch

I had my first signing today. It didn't go quite as well as I'd hoped, but it went very well! I'm not disappointed to be sure. I thought I'd sell out, and technically, I did, but my mother is willing to wait three weeks for me to bring more copies home. Instead, five will sit on the shelf for everyone who missed me.

My daughter helped by handing out bookmarks and I definitely made more connections after that. It's a lot harder to say no to the grinning four year-old than the thirty-something author.

The biggest thing I learned: I need to nail my elevator pitch. The back blurb is good, and in writing "a servant becomes something more by playing a game" looks bleh. It sounds not bad, though. I tried a few variations: A serving-girl becomes a noble by playing a game.
"What's a noble?"
Oh... you probably aren't my target audience, even though you are the right age. My husband weeps for our youth.

If someone read the back I could elaborate. "It's set in a future earth, where technology has failed and people are rediscovering science." That raised eyebrows and got attention. However, Post-apocalyptic renaissance doesn't always resonate with people. (As above, big words can be intimidating.)

Before my next signing, I'm working on my elevator pitch. Anyone want to help?

1 comment:

  1. awwww that is the cutest picture EVER!

    Sneaky but effective marketing Kim!

    ReplyDelete